D Stewart & Son Limited (“Stewarts”) is committed to compliance with all relevant UK and EU laws in respect of personal data, and to protecting the “rights and freedoms” of individuals whose information Stewarts collects in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Throughout this document D Stewart & Son Limited will be referred to as “we”, “our”, or the “company”.
During the course of our activities, we will collect, store and process personal information and we recognise the need to treat it in an appropriate and lawful manner. The types of information that we may be required to handle include details of current, past and prospective employees, suppliers, customers, and others that we communicate with. This policy will help you understand how and why we collect information from you, to whom the information is disclosed and to inform you of your rights regarding your personal data that we hold or process.
Anyone processing personal data must comply with the enforceable principles of good practice specified in the Data Protection Law. These provide that personal data must be:
• Processed lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner.
• Collected for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes and not further processed in a way that is incompatible with those purposes.
• Adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary in relation to the purposes for which it is processed.
• Accurate and, where necessary, up to date.
• Kept in a form which permits the identification of data subjects for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which the data is processed;
• Processed in a manner that ensures appropriate security for the personal data.
Personal data may be collected about you if you:
• choose to become a member of our Privilege Card scheme
• choose to sign up to our Early Gardener email newsletter
• use our online shop or order products from us
• contact us with an enquiry or complaint
• provide feedback or participate in any research
• enter prize promotions or participate in any research
• use our nursery or landscaping services
• apply to work or are employed by Stewarts
We only gather personal information, such as name, address and email address, when voluntarily submitted by you. We shall not ask you to supply any personal data as a condition of your use of our website.
This information is collected to help us:
• fulfil your order/contract/application
• answer your queries
• provide our membership and services, including sending you our 1742 magazine and early gardener mailshot
With your consent, we may also:
• tell you about additional products and services
• send marketing information and news to you
• tell you about other promotional activities and events
• invite you to participate in market research
We have CCTV installed on our premises in public areas for the purposes of prevention and detection of crime.
We will only share your data with contracted and trusted third parties in order to facilitate our provision of services and offers. This includes the processing and delivery of marketing communications to you and any other third party services engaged to perform payment or business support functions.
We may transfer data that we collect from you to a destination outside the European Economic Area (EEA). By submitting your personal data to us, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing.
We may also disclose personal data as permitted or required by law.
We do not share your data with any third parties outside of the above processing arrangements.
The Data Protection Law is intended not to prevent the processing of personal data, but to ensure that it is done fairly and without adversely affecting the rights of the data subject.
Employees personal data will be processed in accordance with their employment contract or where the processing is necessary to comply with our legal obligations. Personal data received from customers will be processed in accordance with the legitimate interests of the company.
We understand the importance of the secure storage of data provided. Although we take appropriate steps to protect it, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our website. Once we have received your data we will use strict security procedures and measures to prevent unauthorised access.
We will retain your personal information for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected, or as in accordance with applicable laws. In order to assist in ensuring that we are only holding up to date and relevant personal data, we will delete any Privilege Card holder, including any accrued loyalty points, after an account has been inactive for 3 years. This time limit will also apply to our Early Gardener email database, with details being deleted if emails are unopened for 3 years.
Should you wish to unsubscribe from future communications, you can opt out by emailing email@example.com. Please note that you may continue to receive communications for a short period while our systems are updated.
Individuals whose personal data is processed by the company are given a number of rights relating to the personal data relating to them;
• Right of access;
• Right to rectification;
• Right to erasure;
• Right to restrict processing;
• Right to data portability; and
• Right to object.
You have a right to access a copy of the data which we hold about you. We will tell you what personal information we have, what our purpose is for processing the data, who else may have access to it and how long we will hold the data for. We will provide the data within one month of receipt.
You have a right of rectification if you think the data that we hold on you is inaccurate. We want to make sure that your personal information is accurate and up to date. Should any of your personal information be required to be modified, or your circumstances change, please let us know.
If you give us consent to use your personal information, you can withdraw your consent at any time.
If you withdraw your consent to any or all use of your personal data, depending upon the nature of your request, we may not be able to provide or continue providing our products and services to you, or administer any contractual relationship already in place. You understand and agree that in such instances where we require your personal data to fulfil a contractual obligation to you and you withdraw your consent to collect, use or disclose the relevant personal data for those purposes, we cannot be held liable for breach of that agreement.
In cases where we are processing your personal data on the basis of our legitimate interest, you can ask us to stop for reasons connected to your individual situation. We must then do so unless we believe we have a legitimate overriding reason to continue processing your personal data.
If you would like to exercise any of your rights under GDPR law, you can do so by contacting us;
– By email firstname.lastname@example.org
– By post to 8 Christchurch Business Park, Radar Way, Christchurch, Dorset BH23 4FL
When you exercise one of your rights under the GDPR, we are required by law to use all reasonable measures to verify your identity before we can action your request. You may therefore be required to provide a form of identification.